Der Neue F series Wagner EVO2 LLK reviewed!

Dieses Thema im Forum "Tuning F2x" wurde erstellt von darkiedm4, 20.06.2015.

1. #1 darkiedm4, 20.06.2015
    Zuletzt bearbeitet: 21.06.2015
    darkiedm4

darkiedm4 1er-Fahrer(in)

Motorisierung:
    M135i
    Modell:
    Hatch (F20)
    Baujahr:
    01/2013
    Vorname:
    Peter
    Introduction
    In search for the best Intercooler for my application I have tried multiple brands and types. To give a summary I have previously had the following intercoolers on my heavily modified Pure Turbo stage2 F20 M135i N55:
    - Stock (Tube and Fin - in combination with Pure Stage 1 Turbo)
    - Forge (Bar and Plate - in combination with Pure Stage 1 Turbo)
    - Wagner EVO 1 Competition (Tube and Fin - in combination with Pure Stage 1 Turbo)
    - Ambient Thermal Management (Bar and Plate - This was my last intercooler in combination with Pure Stage1 (past) and Pure Stage 2 turbo (current))

When creating an intercooler it’s always about finding a balance between temperature drop and pressure drop when the air goes through the core. Since I ran my Pure Stage 1 turbo at 100% dutycycle from time to time I needed an intercooler with very good flow and decent cooling. Since I also run meth injection the cooling part was important but the flow even more important to me.

The stock intercooler flowed very nice, however poor cooling even in combination with meth doing a few back to back runs it just can’t keep up.

The Forge intercooler had great cooling but also a big pressure drop. This caused my 60-130 times to go up since at max dutycycle the turbo could not make the same boost.

Finally I ended up with the Wagner Evo 1 Competition (Tube and Fin core) intercooler. Which suited all my needs. Good flow, decent cooling and in combination with meth it was actually the perfect match for my Pure Stage 1 Turbo.

When I ordered the Pure Stage 2 Turbo I thought my car is now going to need a bigger intercooler. I had read some great reviews about the ATM intercooler and after seeing the data and individual user reviews I decided to take the plunge and ordered this one. I still had the chance to run it on my stage 1 turbo since the stage 2 did not arrive yet. It had better cooling than the Wagner EVO 1 previously on the car. However it also flowed a little bit less (+- 0.5 to 1 psi more pressure drop at 6k rpm when running the stage1 turbo at max dutycycle). However this is what I expected. And I was going to get the new Pure Stage 2 turbo which would flow a lot more than the Stage 1 so no big deal.

I happily ran the ATM on my car and actually never imagined that I would replace it ever.

However then I saw on facebook that Wagner was soon releasing their new EVO 2 intercoolers and were looking for a high horsepower car to test the EVO 2’s on. I was very much interested in comparing them to the ATM intercooler and I got in touch with Ben Naumann from Wagner-Tuning. Having heard about my cars performance they were eager to see how the EVO 2’s would perform. Their HQ in Germany is 560km (350miles) from my home so a bit far. However a trip on the German autobahn is always nice so we booked in a date. So this week (Wednesday June 17th) I was at their HQ to test the new FMICs and match them against the ATM one :)

Presentation of the contending Wagner EVO 2 intercoolers
    The EVO 2 Performance stepped core Link EVO 2 Performance:
    Type: Bar and Plate
    Dimensions: 520 x 215 x 145 (EVO1: 520 x 210 x 130)
    Volume: 13.840cm³ (EVO 1: 11.752cm³)
    Weight: 11.15kg (24.58lbs) (EVO 1: 8.8kg (19.4lbs)
    [​IMG]

The EVO 2 Competition stepped core Link EVO 2 Competition:
    Type: Tube and Fin
    Dimensions: 520 x 215 x 145 (EVO1: 520 x 210 x 130)
    Volume: 13.840cm³ (EVO 1: 11.752cm³)
    Weight: 8.7kg (19.1lbs) (EVO1 : 6.6kg (14.5lbs)
    [​IMG]

For reference the ATM put on a scale:
    [​IMG]

Visual / Design Differences
    Comparing the ATM and Wagner EVO 2 we found a few physical differences worth mentioning:
    - The lower core part of the Wagner is slightly higher
    - The stepped core part of the Wagner is slightly thicker
    [​IMG]
    - The stepped core part of the ATM is 2 rows higher. However those 2 rows do not get direct air flow on my F20 1 series as they are hidden behind the bumper. Not sure if there is more room on the 3 series so those 2 rows are not obstructed there.
    - The inner diameter of the connecting pipes are slightly larger on the Wagner
    [​IMG]
    - The ATM has a core designed in 1 piece. The Wagner EVO 2 Performance has the stepped core welded on top of the bottom part. The Wagner EVO 2 Competition core is also made in 1 piece.
    - The Wagner has a fin on the inside to redirect air to the stepped part of the intercooler.
    [​IMG]

Installation
    The intercooler is very well designed and is a perfect fit on the car. Even with the aluminum ER chargepipe no modifications were needed to get it to fit. It has a metal slider at each side so it slides in the rail like the OEM intercooler. Also it has 2 tabs on the bottom to keep the radiator from moving.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Testing it on the road
    - We installed a temperature sensor before and after the intercooler to get accurate temperature readouts.
    [​IMG]

- I also used the JB4 to log all runs and have IAT canbus data. Since the JB4 gets the IAT from the sensor through canbus, it very accurately matched the temp of the other sensor installed after the FMIC.

- We also installed an Insoric measurement system on the car that allows to generate a dyno graph. This does require to put the car (and driver and co-driver) on the scales. Also take note of the tyre circumference and do a specific testing procedure (4th gear 60kph / 37mph, accelerate till 7k rpm, release the gaspedal, shift into 8 and let the car decelerate).

We did the following testprocedure for each intercooler:
    - The car was run with a boost buildup curve targetting 17 psi on the pure stage2 turbo from 5.5k till 7k rpm for all runs (My fuel system can’t run higher boost without meth or additional fuelling). The fuel used is German Shell 100 (US 94 octane) petrol. No Ethanol in the mix. The methanol kit was also not used during these tests.
    - 3 times 4th gear pull for insoric data
    - 2 times 3rd into 6th gear pull (50 to 210 kph / 31 to 130 mph) to let the intercooler heat up a bit more

We ran the ATM in the morning at 17c/62.5f ambient. The Wagner EVO 2 Performance was run early afternoon at 22c/71.5f ambient. The Wagner EVO 2 Competition was run late afternoon at 24c/75f ambient.

So what does the above all means on the street. Let's have a look at the single 4th gear pulls. The graphs show Boost pressure, IAT (in F) and WG Dutycycle.
    Wagner Comp FMIC
    [​IMG]

Wagner Perf FMIC
    [​IMG]

ATM FMIC
    [​IMG]

As you can see all 3 FMIC's perform very nice in this single gear pull. There are minor differences and it seems the EVO2 Competition FMIC has a slightly higher IAT (it was also hottest time of the day when we tested it) but also the WG dutycycle seems a tad less. This seems to backup the flowbench testing we did earlier today where the EVO2 Competition reported better flow rate over the 2 other bar and plate type intercoolers.

What about a 3rd into 6th gear pull then:
    Wagner Comp FMIC
    [​IMG]

Wagner Perf FMIC
    [​IMG]

ATM FMIC
    [​IMG]

This is telling us the same story. All 3 intercoolers perform very well.

For reference here are the results from the Insoric testing system. It generated the following dyno graphs:
    Wagner Comp FMIC
    [​IMG]

Wagner Perf FMIC
    [​IMG]

ATM FMIC
    [​IMG]

Again results are very close.

Maybe also interesting to point out is that the turbo outlet air temperature we measured during the runs at 17 psi with pure stage2 turbo was 186-188c (366-370F). Knowing this you guys must see that these intercoolers have a hard job to do and are doing a good job at it as well. I also did a few runs at 21.5 psi with meth and then the outgoing air from turbo reached 205c (400F) :party0030:

Conclusion
    Is there any conclusion we can make here? Honestly purely based on performance there is not much in between those 3 intercoolers. It seems the Wagner EVO2 intercoolers have a slight edge over the ATM. I guess we should compare the EVO2 Performance vs the ATM since both are bar and plate design.
    - Weight is nearly identical
    - Flow is nearly identical
    - IAT are as identical as can be (however the Wagner was run at 9F higher ambient)

Where does the EVO2 Competition stand compared to the 2 above?
    - Approx 30% lighter due to Tube and Fin core
    - Able to get nearly the same IAT in multi gear pull (only 3F higher but it was run at highest ambient of the day)
    - Better flow (more easy on the turbo)

Anything else except performance to make a decision which one to pick?
    - The Wagner team seems to have spent a bit more time on some details that make for a more clean install (like the tabs to keep the radiator in place and the metal sliders on the side). These 2 things make for a better fit on the car.
    - The inner diameter of the piping being larger on the Wagner and fin inside the core to redirect airflow to the stepped part are also both nice details to keep in mind.
    - The outer diameter of the piping was a perfect match with the ER chargepipe. Previous intercoolers all had issues needing me to remove 1mm from that piping to get it to fit properly on the car. Wagner told me their 1st version of the EVO1 had this issue as well hence they reduced the outer diameter by 1mm. I can confirm this as the EVO2 did not have this issue.

Now which one would I pick:
    I have opted to keep the Wagner EVO2 Competition FMIC on my car. It flows better, it's lighter and very good cooling. Another thing I noticed is when you continue at very high speed (220kph+ / 135mph+) it seems the competition fmic IAT temps no longer increase while for the bar and plate design ones it slowly keeps going up.

Agreed we are talking minor differences but I want the best of the best for my car and my application and for me this is the Wagner EVO2 Competition FMIC. :cool!:

If you came this far, thanks for reading. I hope you like my review. If you do please Appreciate my post ;)

If any questions feel free to ask. I am happy to help.

Greetz!

ps: Special thanks for the guys @ Wagner (Ben, Ronny, Patrick and Carsten) for making all this possible!

MMario gefällt das.
  2. AdMan

Schau mal hier: (hier klicken). Dort gibt es vieles für den 1er.

Registrieren bzw. einloggen, um diese und auch andere Anzeigen zu deaktivieren
  3. Docter

Docter 1er-Liebhaber(in)

Just can say wow... What a detailed report.
    Thanks for sharing.

4. #3 F2116iM, 21.06.2015
    F2116iM

F2116iM 1er-Fan

Fahrzeugtyp:
    M135i
    Motorisierung:
    M135i
    Modell:
    Hatch (F21)
    Baujahr:
    04/2016
    Awesome post. Thx a lot.

Though i run 116i lol It was very interesting to read. Tank you for all your effort you made to inform us with so much detail.

Cheers and much fun with your race car. :mrgreen:

5. Flo_M2

Flo_M2 1er-Fan

Motorisierung:
    M2
    Modell:
    Coupé (F87)
    Baujahr:
    03/2016
    Vorname:
    Flo
    Thank you very much Peter for this excellent review!! :daumen:

6. #5 Mysterikum, 22.06.2015
    Mysterikum

Mysterikum 1er-Liebhaber(in)

Fahrzeugtyp:
    M240i Coupé
    Motorisierung:
    M240i
    Modell:
    Coupé (F22)
    Baujahr:
    08/2016
    Vorname:
    Denny
    Trank you for your Review!

Thema: Der Neue F series Wagner EVO2 LLK reviewed!
Besucher kamen mit folgenden Suchen
  1. ladeluftkühler m135i

Die Seite wird geladen...

Der Neue F series Wagner EVO2 LLK reviewed! - Ähnliche Themen

1. [Verkauft] Original BMW Performance LLK

Original BMW Performance LLK: Verkaufe meinen Performance Ladeluftkühler aus meinem 123d da ich auf Wagner LLK umsteige. LLK ist 2 Jahre alt und hat ca. 12 Tkm runter. Mein...
  2. Mini Cooper JWC, M135i,... Anregung für den neuen

Mini Cooper JWC, M135i,... Anregung für den neuen: Moin, ich fahr ja nun schon länger meinen 118d der momentan als Firmenwagen seinen Dienst gut verrichtet. Da ich größtenteils auch weite Strecken...
  3. LEDs f. Corona Ringe

LEDs f. Corona Ringe: Hallo Zusammen, falls jemand seine "alten" LEDs für E-Modelle abgeben mag, wäre ich grundsätzlich interessiert. Einfach mal alles anbieten. VG
  4. NEU Remus MSD für M135i M235i sowie xdrive

NEU Remus MSD für M135i M235i sowie xdrive: Verkaufe meinen NEUEN Remus MSD für den M135i und M235i sowie die xdrive Modelle. Der MSD ist NEU und wurde einmal montiert ohne das Fahrzeug zu...
  5. [Verkauft] Original BMW Seitenblinker - fast neu

Original BMW Seitenblinker - fast neu: Hallo, verkaufe hier einen Satz originaler BMW Seitenblinker, da ich auf Schwarz umgestiegen bin. TN: 63 13 7 253 326 (rechts) TN: 63 13 7 253...