BMW F12 M6 paddle shifters fitted!!! But....

Dieses Thema im Forum "BMW M135i / M235i / M140i / M240i" wurde erstellt von sootyvrs, 17.10.2013.

1. #1 sootyvrs, 17.10.2013
    sootyvrs

sootyvrs 1er-Fahrer(in)

Sorry I don't speak German but wondered if anyone has fitted M6 paddle shifters with success?

This is my story...

I've been not entirely happy with the std. Auto paddle shifts as i find that they are just a little short so my fingers stretch to them or I have to move my hand away from an optimal position on the wheel whilst using them... It's only slight but enough for me to investigate alternatives.

I did some research and have read that some F30 owners have swapped over to F12 M6 paddles which look better and feel better from when I recal test driving the M6

I managed to get a set on ebay (cheap'ish) so thought it was worth a try... Here are the pics during and after installation..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First problem was getting the airbag removed after disconnecting battery... Spent over an hour or 2 trying to get it off using this method I found for the F30

How to remove air bag unit/steering wheel?

Seems easy but trust me... it's not!!! Just could not get the bag off... don't even know if I could locate the clips let alone prise them away from the locking point! Was just about to give in when I did some more searching and found an alternative method

BMW F30 Airbag Removal-Different Way - YouTube

Managed to get it off using this method so was rather pleased..

Then a simple torx screw holds the shifter in place and they simplay connect using the blue connectors... easy peasy this bit..

I then installed the wheel back on the car and fitted everything back into place.
    Started engine... need to reset time and date... drove off and 1st error... Tyre pressure monitor error... reset but error saying it cant be activated!! A bit of panic... then error number 2 about traction control or DSC error and went into a limp mode... This time I was regretting tinkering at all!!! I'm not the best DIY'er

Stopped the car and switched engine off. Swiched back on and all was OK apart from tyre pressure warning but at least it drove OK..

Now to the paddles... clicked to change up and nothing... clicked to change down and it changed up... WTF... tried switching car off and back on... same problem... so either I have some duff paddles or they are not compatible!!!

After a little panic hoping I've not screwed something up.. I went about and put my original paddles back on and to my relief... everything works like before... phewww

I'm disappointed they have not worked especially as they feel great and a lot better than the std. paddles...

I've sent a message to the seller which I'm waiting for a response... perhaps worth another go or perhaps I need to shell out a bit more to ensure they are genuine ones... I must admit they look genuine!

2. AdMan

Schau mal hier: (hier klicken). Dort gibt es vieles für den 1er.

Registrieren bzw. einloggen, um diese und auch andere Anzeigen zu deaktivieren
  3. MikeTR

MikeTR 1er-Fahrer(in)

Motorisierung:
    M235i
    Modell:
    Coupé (F22)
    Baujahr:
    03/2015
    Vorname:
    Mike
    OMG, you have mounted the steering wheel on the wrong side.:nod:

4. #3 EzioS, 17.10.2013
    Zuletzt bearbeitet: 17.10.2013
    EzioS

EzioS 1er-Fan

Motorisierung:
    135i xDrive
    Modell:
    Hatch (F21)
    Baujahr:
    11/2012
    Vorname:
    Ezio
    Spritmonitor:
    Cheers mate, great mod, if it had worked. Really like the look of the slimmer paddles! Kindly do keep us updated, if you manage the get the mod working!
    I am honest, wouldn't have the balls to try that myself, utterly afraid of effing things up royally.

btw, what's your name?! Signature or profile update would be highly appreciated.

:daumen:

5. #4 135iCoupe, 18.10.2013
    135iCoupe

135iCoupe 1er-Fahrer(in)

Fahrzeugtyp:
    135i Coupé
    Motorisierung:
    135i xDrive
    one idea: You said when you wanted to switch down, it switched up. Maybe you have left hand drive paddles, but the controller expects right hand side paddles. Maybe this confused the entire system.
    It's just a wild guess as I have no idea wether or not the sides are the same.

6. #5 sootyvrs, 18.10.2013
    sootyvrs

sootyvrs 1er-Fahrer(in)

Thanks all who have responded.

I think on LHD cars + and - are on same side as RHD :)

Was hoping someone in Germany might have installed them before.

7. Macboy

Macboy 1er-Fahrer(in)

Woow great work !

8. #7 micha120m, 20.10.2013
    micha120m

micha120m 1er-Fahrer(in)

Motorisierung:
    M235i
    Modell:
    Coupé (F22)
    Baujahr:
    02/2016
    Vorname:
    Michael
    Hi
    sorry for my bad english

measure on both paddle the resistance (std - and m6 - ; std + and m6+ must be the same)
    i think the paddle dont work as an on/off contact, but through different resistors for up and down

good luck and keep us updated

9. #8 Dante77, 17.12.2013
    Dante77

Dante77 1er-Interessent(in)

Hi mate,

just registered here because I have the same problem as you.
    I have a LHD F31 330d with 8AT and had the M6 Paddles retrofitted. Same result as yours:
    Left paddle made upshift instead of downshift, right paddle without any function.

What I can say is, the paddles are not simple on/off switches, but work with variing resistance. Probably the DCT gearbox on the M6 has different values.

I think its a shame these paddles are sold as plug&play for F20/F30 on eBay! :angry:

Did you come up with any solution?
    I will try and disassemble the shifters and swap the interiours.

Cheers
    Christian

10. #9 sootyvrs, 17.12.2013
    sootyvrs

sootyvrs 1er-Fahrer(in)

I have since returned the paddles from ebay seller.

The Seller has checked the resistance between the different paddles and they are different which probably is why they don't work!

There may be methods of changing the resistance but I did not look into this problem.. I wonder if you have the paddles I sent back?

11. #10 Dante77, 17.12.2013
    Dante77

Thank you very much!
    Just as I suspected.

Did you get other M6 paddles which work? Or did you get a refund?

12. #11 sootyvrs, 17.12.2013
    sootyvrs

sootyvrs 1er-Fahrer(in)

I got a refund but did have to pay postage return.

I decided not to risk buying another set to try. Shame as they feel and look much better :(

13. #12 Dante77, 17.12.2013
    Dante77

I'll let you know for sure if I come up with a solution.

Thanks
    Chris

14. #13 Dante77, 06.01.2014
    Zuletzt bearbeitet: 09.01.2014
    Dante77

Hi all,
    here's a link to a (german) How To I posted in another Forum: link

You can get the M6 paddles working by exchanging the electronics with your old paddles. Disassembling the paddles is VERY easy. They are only held together by one bolt (axle), which you can press out with just a ball pen. Then only exchange the shifter housings with the normal paddles and reassamble. This way you have the electronics of the old shifters with the new paddles! :daumen:

15. AdMan

Schau dir mal den passenden Ratgeber an. Dort findet man Infos und Antworten.

Registrieren bzw. einloggen, um diese und auch andere Anzeigen zu deaktivieren
  16. New1er

New1er 1er-Fahrer(in)

:daumen:

17. hossi

hossi 1er-Profi

Vorname:
    Falk
    Spritmonitor:
    Thank you very much. Some days ago I bought a pair of it. ;)

Thema:

BMW F12 M6 paddle shifters fitted!!! But....

Die Seite wird geladen...

BMW F12 M6 paddle shifters fitted!!! But.... - Ähnliche Themen

1. BMW M135i F21 Heckantrieb / Navi Prof,...

BMW M135i F21 Heckantrieb / Navi Prof,...: Hallo zusammen, ich spiele mit dem Gedanken meinen M135i abzugeben da ich eventuell neue Pläne habe. Viele von euch werden das Auto...
  2. [Verkauft] Original BMW Performance LLK

Original BMW Performance LLK: Verkaufe meinen Performance Ladeluftkühler aus meinem 123d da ich auf Wagner LLK umsteige. LLK ist 2 Jahre alt und hat ca. 12 Tkm runter. Mein...
  3. BMW 116d Tuning äußere Karosserie auf Urban Line (Schwarz)

BMW 116d Tuning äußere Karosserie auf Urban Line (Schwarz): Moin Moin! Seit ca. einem Monat bin ich ganz stolzer Besitzer eines BMW 116d in schwarz. Habe lange nach dem passenden Auto zu einem maximal...
  4. SUCHE BMW e87 M Front

SUCHE BMW e87 M Front: Guten Abend, ich suche eine BMW M Front für den E87. Die Farbe ist egal nur der Zustand ist wichtig(keine dellen oder gebrochene Halter) :) MfG...
  5. BMW 116i E87 vFL

BMW 116i E87 vFL: Hallo Zusammen, mein Name ist Fynn, 18 Jahre alt. Ich bin seit Ende August (2016) stolzer Besitzer eines BMW 116i E87 vFL mit 115ps und hab meine...