BMW 130i Simota Intake vs BMW Performance Intake comparison!

Dieses Thema im Forum "Tuning E8x" wurde erstellt von sootyvrs, 19.04.2011.

1. #1 sootyvrs, 19.04.2011
    sootyvrs

sootyvrs 1er-Fahrer(in)

Hi all. I normally reside on babybmw forum but thought I'd share my experience with you all as I still find this a great forum to get information regarding the 1 Series.

Apologies for those who don't speak English.

Simota Intake

[​IMG]

BMW Performance Intake
    [​IMG]

Hi fellow 1er members, I have had a BMW Performance Intake fitted to my 130i for a good part of 2 years now and I've been extremely happy with it in combination with my BMW Performance exhaust.

I did write a full review on 1Addicts also below for those who want to read it.

BMW Performance Intake Kit for 130i now fitted!!!! - BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Another source of reference for the BMWP one is gavsadler and here is his review

babybmw.net • View topic - Finally fitted BMW Performance intake to my 130i

Last year Benis130i purchased the Simota Intake for his 130i and got some very respectable gains with before and after Dyno's which was much more than I've seen from Dyno's of the BMWP ones that have been posted.

babybmw.net • View topic - 130i simota intake fitted *NOW WITH DYNO GRAPH*

Benis also did some rather tasty videos of his which sounded rather tasty indeed and I was seriously tempted to see how it compared to my BMWP one but I just couldn't justify paying £560 just to scratch that itch, especially if it came short compared to the BMW one!

Darknight130 from this forum also purchased the Simota after owning a BMWP one and he was seriously impressed and here's a link to his review

babybmw.net • View topic - Finally fitted my Simota Intake! Woop!

Then Consulten added his review of the Simota here with sound clip videos

babybmw.net • View topic - Finally my Simota intake has arrived

Anyhow, both Benis130i and Darkknight130 have since sold their 130i's and I got the opportunity to buy Benis's Intake.. So thanks to Benis for allowing me to now compare the 2.

I will not try to go over old ground as the above reviews give plenty of info re. the 2 Intakes in isolation and will try and concentrate on the differences.

Construction and Quality
    If you look at the above review pictures you will have gathered that the BMWP Intake is not a complete unit and it uses the existing Airbox but adds the other bits where as the Simota is a complete unit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The BMWP one is only part Carbon Fibre where as the Simota one is completely Carbon Fibre. There wasn't that much difference in weight of the 2 (inc. airbox) to be honest as plastic is not exactly heavy anyhow. I must admit that the quality of the BMWP one is better as the Carbon seems to be made better as the Simota one seems a little brittle and the finish is not as perfect. The one I have is already showing signs of cracks in the finish but either way it does actually look better being all Carbon fibre.

One of the advantages of the BMWP one over the standard BMW intake is that it's quite a bit bigger i.e. Intake chamber and also the connection to the airbox.

I was rather surprised to see that the Simota one was a lot smaller than the BMW one and would go as far to say that it looked even smaller than the std. BMW one? My initial thoughts is that it may be all looks rather than go?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I guess however being a semi-open design is that it must be sucking it air from the open part of the airbox so perhaps the inlet opening doesn't need to be that large compared to the BMWP one.

[​IMG]

Installation
    Both are relatively easy and can be performed by anyone with some DIY sense and I would say that if I can install them then just about anyone else can also!

The Simota is a little more complicated as you have to remove the complete BMW airbox and disconnect a pipe that connects it. Then you have to remove the MAF sensor and then attach to the Simota. You also have to install it whole which makes it a little more fiddly. I did have a problem that after fitting, I couldn't close the bonnet after installation but found later that there was a cable that the airbox was resting on which I re-routed and all was fine. This shows that it's a tight fit height wise.

Also with me having the BMWP strut brace I had to put the Simota airbox lid resting on top of the brace as part of the lid just extends and is just for show. Tight fit but just managed it without having to resort to cutting it up or removing the brace
    [​IMG]

Performance and Sound
    All my tests are taken from my Butt dyno as I did not perform any real before /after dyno results and the above links already have some nice charts for those interested.

The BMWP Intake for me provides a nice extra bit of torque at low to medium revs and gives a nice deep intake sound which really comes in strong around 3k revs. This sound gives great character when pressing on and riding the midrange (like a diesel) and this deep intake note continues all the way to the rev range. The power delivery is very linear similar with the std. Intake but with the subjective feeling that there is just more of everything.

As soon as the Simota was installed I was a little surprised that at lower and medium revs is that it's a little quieter than the BMWP one and it does give an impression that there is less there (power and torque). The intake noise of the Simota seems to have a higher pitch to the sound compared to a deeper note which changes the character some what. Which note you prefer I assume is subjective and down to personal preference.

What is noticeable is that as the revs rise, the Simota sound comes to life and you are rewarded with a nice intake roar and there is a feeling that the revs seem to be rising at greater velocity than before. Now there is a nice urgent "zing" to the top end and it does feel more urgent than when the BMWP was installed.

Again I'm not 100% sure if it's because of this higher pitched intake note that gives an impression of more urgency as the last 1k revs seems to just a little more manic than before! Here I'm talking around 6k revs so it's a very narrow band that seems noticeably different to the BMWP one which as mentioned before has the impression of being more linear.

So my conclusion is this.... The BMWP Intake gives the impression that it has more usable torque when driving within the mid-range and gives you a more deeper and louder sound within this rev range compared to the Simota but the Simota hits back with the impression that the engine is a little free revving at the very top end and provides arguably a bigger enjoyment fix when really on it!

I personally think that day to day driving the BMWP gets the nod as it provides a little more when not ringing out it's neck but the Simota gets the nod when really on it holding on to the last 1k of it's rev range.

Which one I decide to keep and sell is a little more tricky to decide so may be some time before I actually do something about it.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AdMan

Schau mal hier: (hier klicken). Dort gibt es vieles für den 1er.

Registrieren bzw. einloggen, um diese und auch andere Anzeigen zu deaktivieren
  3. #2 Sebastian7, 19.04.2011
    Sebastian7

Sebastian7 1er-Fanatiker(in)

looks very nice !!

4. #3 AnooooOH, 19.04.2011
    AnooooOH

AnooooOH 1er-Süchtling

Fahrzeugtyp:
    135i
    Motorisierung:
    M235i
    Modell:
    Coupé (F22)
    Baujahr:
    04/2014
    Vorname:
    Phil
    Thanks for the write-up!!

We def have the same opinion when it comes down to the pp intake.
    Plus it has a TÜV approval,the simota not.
    And you keep the warranty which you would lose when installing the simota.

5. #4 sootyvrs, 20.04.2011
    sootyvrs

sootyvrs 1er-Fahrer(in)

So in Germany without TUV approval, you are not permitted to install parts?

Things are done so much by the book over there. I also experience this as I work for BASF :)

6. #5 AnooooOH, 20.04.2011
    AnooooOH

AnooooOH 1er-Süchtling

Fahrzeugtyp:
    135i
    Motorisierung:
    M235i
    Modell:
    Coupé (F22)
    Baujahr:
    04/2014
    Vorname:
    Phil
    no :(
    the only way would be to spend a big amount of money to have the tüv do some special tests .
    if they say it`s okay you get the approval too.
    but in most cases it`s not worth it.

yes, they are very strict what`s pretty annoying.

7. Kaji

Kaji 1er-Fahrer(in)

Fahrzeugtyp:
    118i (FL)
    nice writeup! Too sad I'm not driving a 130i - I really love the PP-Intake.

Well you have to look at it this way:

The car has to be in a good condition and every part has to be checked by the TÜV in order to be allowed to be driven on the streets BUT in return you are allowed to drive as fast as you want on many highways and you can be sure that there are no dangerous mods on the streets that endanger you, too (like cutting the roof off and saying: it's a cabrio now) and your neighbour doesn't wake you every night because of his Honda Civic super-duper ghetto exhaust.

so i prefer the german way ;)

8. aWi

aWi 1er-Fahrer(in)

Fahrzeugtyp:
    118d (FL)
    Vorname:
    Alex
    made my day :D .... but true

9. AdMan

Schau dir mal den passenden Ratgeber an. Dort findet man Infos und Antworten.

Registrieren bzw. einloggen, um diese und auch andere Anzeigen zu deaktivieren
  10. #8 james4421, 16.02.2016
    james4421

james4421 1er-Interessent(in)

Benis also did some rather tasty videos of his which sounded rather tasty indeed and I was seriously tempted to see how it compared to my BMWP one but I just couldn't justify paying £560 just to scratch that itch, especially if it came short compared to the BMW one!

11. zamara

zamara 1er-Interessent(in)

too (like cutting the roof off and saying: it's a cabrio now) and your neighbour doesn't wake you every night because of his Honda Civic super-duper ghetto exhaust.

Thema: BMW 130i Simota Intake vs BMW Performance Intake comparison!
Besucher kamen mit folgenden Suchen
  1. 130i airbox

2. 1erforum

3. dyno bmw 130i

4. bmw 130i tuning,
  5. BMW130i tuning parts,
  6. bmw 130i performance intake,
  7. bmw e82 125i induction kit
Die Seite wird geladen...

BMW 130i Simota Intake vs BMW Performance Intake comparison! - Ähnliche Themen

1. Alufelgen Dezent RE mit Winterreifen Bridgestone Blizzak, BMW 1er

Alufelgen Dezent RE mit Winterreifen Bridgestone Blizzak, BMW 1er: Verkauft werden vier sehr gut erhaltene, drei Jahre alte Winterkompletträder. Die Alufelgen sind von der Firma Dezent, Typ RE in Silber mit den...
  2. M Performance Schwelleraufsätze vom M2

M Performance Schwelleraufsätze vom M2: Hallo Zusammen, weiß jemand ob die Schwelleraufsätze vom M2 auch auf den F20 passen?...
  3. Suche 125i / 130i / 135i - E8x Modelle

Suche 125i / 130i / 135i - E8x Modelle: Hallo @all, wenn jemand seinen abgeben möchte bitte bei mir melden Top zustand wäre vorraussetzung :wink: Farbe alles ausser Schwarz haben...
  4. BMW M135i F21 Heckantrieb / Navi Prof,...

BMW M135i F21 Heckantrieb / Navi Prof,...: Hallo zusammen, ich spiele mit dem Gedanken meinen M135i abzugeben da ich eventuell neue Pläne habe. Viele von euch werden das Auto...
  5. [Verkauft] Original BMW Performance LLK

Original BMW Performance LLK: Verkaufe meinen Performance Ladeluftkühler aus meinem 123d da ich auf Wagner LLK umsteige. LLK ist 2 Jahre alt und hat ca. 12 Tkm runter. Mein...